Saturday, September 27, 2008

Back in the "Real" World

Now that I'm in school I'm actually required to get up, get dressed, and leave my house four days a week.  Over the past four years of mostly working from home, I forgot how good I had it.  

I just completed week 4 of classes, and Diva, who is fortunately (knock on wood here) a very healthy kid, came down with a flu bug on Thursday.  We Mom's know how this one starts:
(Weds. Night)  Diva:  Mom, my throat is scratchy
Me (hopefully):  Maybe you yelled too much at school today?

It invariably continues in a sleep-deprived fog around 4AM:
Diva:  Mom, I'm cold and I can't breathe good.  
Me (unintelligibly):  glubglobglib....  I think that means I'll get you a glass of water and some cough syrup.  
Me:  Oh drat, we don't have any kid's medicine in the house because Diva hasn't been sick in so long.

Then comes the 6AM arm-wrestling match:
Kilowatt:  Do you think she's really sick enough to stay home?  She's never sick.
Me:  What do you have going on at work today?  I have Philosophy class at 10 and Fraud class at 5:30.
Kilowatt:  Do you really think she's sick?
Me:  If I were still working from home, I'd keep her home.  Let me go get the thermometer.  (pause.)  Uh-oh, we're in 'no man's temperature land' 99.5.  That means the school won't officially consider her sick.  But I do since she never has a fever.  
Kilowatt:  I guess I can work from home today.
Me:  I'd better go hit the showers so I can come home between classes.  
Kilowatt:  I'm off to the 24 hour pharmacy to pick up drugs.  

Lucky for us, it appears to be a just a 24-48 hour bug.  I had Friday off so Diva stayed home both days, and is now eager to leave the house where she's been stuck for two days.  

So far, Kilowatt and I are okay.  Now I have to go drink my OJ! 

3 comments:

Night Diva Maria said...

Hi

I found your blog from my key words "night diva" - which is me lol. But after reading I just wanted to say hope your little diva gets to feeling better soon and stays healthy for the rest of the school year.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I hope she's feeling better by now. The flu-Ugh! And it's so early in the season.

Reva said...

Yup, it's that time of year again. My grandkids are all going through it and last week my husband did the sore throat and low grade fever thing too. So far I have evaded the dreaded cold and that's good, cause I had one I just got over that lasted a month. What fun!