Friday, September 12, 2008

Two Weeks Down, 62 More to Go!

I'm now two weeks into my PhD program.  The way I figure it, I have 62 more weeks of coursework to go.  Then two years of writing dissertation materials.  I'm ignoring summers in my count - those will be filled with writing articles and comprehensive exams - I deny those exist.  

Highlights of what I've learned the last two weeks:
  • I  don't really understand Philosophy.  I'm not sure I ever will.  
  • All research is flawed.  
  • People lie with statistics all the time.
  • Driving three hours roundtrip, 4 days a week, is more exhausting now than it was 10 years ago.
What I'm still struggling to figure out:
  • What am I doing in a room with all these brilliant, intense people?
  • Will there ever be agreement between philosophers?  

No comments: